General Application Process
- The Board of Medical Examiners and the Board of Nursing jointly approve applications for collaborative practice between physicians and Certified Registered Nurse Practitioners (CRNPs) or Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs).
- The parties enter into a collaborative agreement specifying approved duties, skills, and prescribing privileges and setting forth quality assurance plans.
- “Covering” physicians can be named to provide collaboration with the CRNP/CNM when the collaborating physician is unavailable.
- CRNPs and CNMs can apply for controlled substances prescribing privileges with certain limitations.
- The Board of Medical Examiners and the Medical Association of the State of Alabama present periodic seminars on ensuring quality in the collaborative practice. All current and prospective collaborating physicians are advised to complete this course.
- A courtesy collaborative practice inspection may be scheduled with one of the Collaborative Practice Nurse Consultants.