Physician Assistants who hold Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificates may also apply for a Limited Purpose Schedule II Permit (LPSP).
The authority to prescribe, administer, or authorize for administration a Schedule II controlled substance is practice specific. Only those CIIs which are customarily used in the specialty practice of the collaborating physician will be approved.
A specific formulary listing the specific CIIs to be utilized must be submitted with the LPSP application.
A Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate (QACSC) must be obtained prior to applying for an LPSP.
- How to Apply/What Happens Next
- Eligibility Requirements
- Fees (Non-Transferable/Non-Refundable)
- Renewal Requirements
- Check Pending Application
How to Apply/What Happens Next
- Complete the application forms and submit with fee payment.
- The application will be placed on the next Board agenda for approval.
- After the Board meeting, approved applicants will be notified of approval/non-approval.
- Have a current collaborative practice with a collaborating physician.
- Have a current, active, unrestricted QACSC for Schedules III, IV, and V.
- Have a current, active DEA registration.
- Initial LPSP: $25
- LPSP Renewal: $10
- Print receipts at the Licensee Portal
- LPSP is renewed annually on or before Jan. 1 of each year.
- Before renewing, must have:
- Current QACSC.
- Current Drug Enforcement Administration registration.
- Current registration to access the PDMP.
Can an LPSP be utilized to purchase or order stock supplies or inventories of controlled substances?
What happens if my collaborating physician’s Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate becomes revoked or inactive?
A: Any QACSC/LPSP held by the CRNP/CNM is administratively terminated by operation of law.
What happens if my Collaborative Practice terminates? Can my QACSC/LPSP be transferred?
A: The QACSC/LPSP is directly tied to the Collaborative Practice and cannot be transferred. Upon termination of a CP, the QACSC/LPSP are automatically terminated.