Qualified Certified Registered Nurse Practitioners and Certified Nurse Midwives may apply for a Limited Purpose Schedule II Permit (LPSP).
The authority to prescribe, administer, or authorize for administration a Schedule II controlled substance is practice specific. Only those CIIs which are customarily used in the specialty practice of the collaborating physician will be approved.
A formulary listing the specific CIIs to be utilized must be submitted with the LPSP application.
A Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate (QACSC) must be obtained prior to applying for an LPSP.
- How to Apply/What Happens Next
- Eligibility Requirements
- Renewal Requirements
- Check Pending Application
- Complete the application forms and submit with fee payment.
- The application will be placed on the next Board agenda for approval.
- After the Board meeting, approved applicants will be notified of approval/non-approval.
- Have a current collaborative practice with a collaborating physician.
- Have a current, active, unrestricted QACSC for Schedules III, IV, and V.
- Have a current, active DEA registration.
- Prescribing Protocols for QACSC and LPSP
- Application Instructions
- Application for LPSP
- LPSP Covering Letter
- Initial LPSP: $25
- LPSP Renewal: $10
- Print receipt at the Licensee Portal
- LPSP is renewed annually on or by Jan. 1 of each year
- Before renewing, must have:
- Current QACSC.
- Current Drug Enforcement Administration registration.
- Current registration to access the PDMP.
Can an LPSP be utilized to purchase or order stock supplies or inventories of controlled substances:
What happens if my collaborating physician’s Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate becomes revoked or inactive?
Any QACSC/LPSP held by the CRNP/CNM is administratively terminated by operation of law.
What happens if my Collaborative Practice terminates? Can my QACSC/LPSP be transferred?
The QACSC/LPSP is directly tied to the Collaborative Practice and cannot be transferred. Upon termination of a CP, the QACSC/LPSP is automatically terminated.