2022 License and Registration Renewals
ALL NON-RENEWED PA/AA LICENSES, (Q)ACSCs, PAIN MANAGEMENT REGISTRATIONS EXPIRED DEC. 31
PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE REGARDING REINSTATEMENT/REISSUE FOR 2022
MD/DO LICENSES MAY BE RENWED THROUGH JAN 31 WITH LATE FEE
Renew license by Jan. 31 via the Licensee Portal
- Log in using your last name and last five digits of your SSN.
- Review and update your profile information.
- Scroll to License Information and click “Renew” in the Renewal column of the license to be renewed (renew medical license first).
- Return to the Licensee Portal home page to renew ACSC, pain management registration, etc.
- Pay for all renewals using the shopping cart and a credit card.
- Renewal certificates and a receipt can be printed upon completion of all renewals by returning to the Licensee Portal home page and clicking the printer icon in the license/registration row.
- If you do not wish to renew your license, you can request non-renewal status. You will not receive renewal reminders and your license will convert to inactive status on Jan. 31. To resume medical practice in Alabama, physically or via telemedicine, you are required to apply for reinstatement of your medical license.
Licenses/registrations available for renewal
Medical Licenses (MD/DO)
- Full license
- Limited license (training/teaching/state institution) (NOTE: limited certificate of qualification must be renewed before license. Please see instructions and forms)
- Retired Senior Volunteer License* (NOTE: RSV certificate of qualification must be renewed before license. Please see instructions and forms)
- Special Purpose License
- Interstate Medical Licensure Compact License (renewed through the IMLC at www.imlcc.org/renew/) NOTE: IMLC controlled substance certificate holders must renew the ACSC at through the Alabama Licensee Portal.
- Medical licenses only have a renewal grace period with an additional charge from Jan. 1 - 31. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD FOR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES CERTIFICATES.
Registrations (MD/DO) (Now Expired)
- Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate/Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate
- Office-Based Surgery
- Pain Management
Physician Assistant Licenses (PA/AA) (Now Expired)
Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificates (CRNP/CNM/PA) (Now Expired)
Limited Purpose Schedule II Permits (CRNP/CNM/PA) (Now Expired)
Registrations NOT Requiring Renewal
- Dispensing physician
- Use of lasers/other modalities affecting tissue
- PA/AA registration agreement
- Collaborative practice agreement
Continuing Medical Education Requirements
- License renewal: Annual requirement for MD/DO and PA/AA licenses is 25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM per calendar year.
- ACSC renewal: Two AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM in controlled substances prescribing every two years.
- QACSC renewal: Four AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM every two years through a Board-approved course.
- See the Continuing Medical Education page for additional information on CME requirements.
- NOTE: Licensees were granted an exemption from CME requirements for 2020 due to the public health emergency. The exemption DOES NOT EXTEND TO 2021. Credits earned in 2020 will not meet the 2021 requirement.
Qualified Alabama Controlled Substances Certificate/Limited Purpose Schedule II Permit
- PAs should renew license before renewing QACSC and LPSP. QACSC must be renewed before LPSP can be renewed.
- CRNPs/CNMs may renew QACSC/LPSP through the Licensee Portal.
- If the supervising/collaborating physician's medical license and ACSC are not renewed for 2022, any QACSC/LPSP issued under a physician’s ACSC will become inactive.
- Please contact QACSC/LPSP Department with questions.
Declaration of Lawful Presence
- All lawfully present alien licensees must submit annually a Declaration of Lawful Presence in order to be approved for renewal. You will not be permitted to renew your license until the form has been received and your lawful presence verified.
- Download Declaration of Lawful Prescence Form
- Questions? Email Declaration of Lawful Presence Questions